The Miami Diet is one of the leading health plans. Developed by an American cardiologist (Dr. Agatston) who is tired of the successive failures of low-calorie diets, it is based on the choice of healthy foods.
Towards a healthy lifestyle with the Miami Diet
The Miami diet is all about quality food. Since food-related overweight is due to excess sugars and fats (especially bad sugars and bad fats), he naturally learns to choose them well to lose weight.
Selecting the right sugars
The glycemic index (GI) of a food indicates its ability to raise blood sugar levels. The higher the GI, the higher the blood sugar level, the more the hormone called insulin is released. This is the hormone that stores sugars and fats.
- Favour high-fibre carbohydrate sources: the higher the fibre content of a food that contains sugars, the less this sugar will affect blood sugar levels. Vegetables, fruits, whole grain cereals and their by-products (whole grain pasta for example), pulses are among them.
- Avoid low-fibre refined sugars: white sugar, white flour and by-products, white parboiled rice, white semolina favour storage.
- Avoid consuming more than 2 dairy products a day: although their sugar (lactose) content is low and they have a low glycemic index, they tend to secrete a lot of insulin.
Selecting the right fats
- Favour fats rich in unsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids: these are duck fat, goose fat, vegetable oils, especially rapeseed, olive, walnut and linseed. Fatty fish (sardines, salmon, mackerel, tuna) are well provided for.
- Avoid saturated fats (animal fats and derived products such as butter, fresh cream, etc.) and hydrogenated fats (fried foods, etc.).
The 3 Phases of the Miami Diet
Duration: 2 weeks.
It’s a hyperprotidic phase, similar to protein diets. Only meat, fish, eggs, accompanied by vegetables are allowed. All sources of carbohydrates (sugars, starchy foods, fruit and alcohol) are suppressed.
Duration: until the total loss of the desired kilos.
During this phase, foods that are sources of sugar are gradually reintroduced. The only requirement is that they must have a low glycemic index.
Duration: for life.
It is a question of eating everything while favouring low GI sugars and good fats.
Losing weight with the Miami Diet
- You have to agree to go on the diet for life. But don’t panic: it’s above all good dietary sense.
- Don’t forget to help your body eliminate by drinking a lot. In order to fulfil the elimination functions, you should select waters with very low mineral content (spring water for example). Green tea is also an excellent drainer.
- You can enrich your diet with fibre: wheat or oat bran. 2 tablespoons per day maximum, to be spread in dairy products, on your salads, in your pastry, pizza or cake preparations. Rich in fibre, they are used to trap some of the sugars and fats in the meal and to promote bowel movements.
- When you eat a food that has a high glycemic index, combine it with a food that has a very low glycemic index. This limits the damage.
- Cooking and grinding food increases a food’s glycemic index. Eat raw as often as possible.
Benefits of the Miami Diet
The Miami regime allows you to:
- lose weight sustainably without losing muscle mass, since the diet leaves a lot of room for protein;
- Eat as much as you want: it does not play on the quantity of food, but on its quality: there is no tedious counting of calories;
- snacking: this is a significant advantage for those who have the small hollow of 10 and 16h;
- Wean yourself off sugar by simply stopping eating it: for those who are addicted to it, count on about 3 weeks to stop being tempted;
- improve blood parameters such as cholesterol, glycemia: eating healthy prevents cardiovascular disease, diabetes and certain pathologies such as cancer.
The limits of the Miami Diet
- The first phase of the diet is not suitable for people suffering from or predisposed to kidney disease and diabetes.
- This diet may prevent you from eating out of the house.
- Be careful not to overindulge in fats and sources of sugars, even if they are good for your health. Make sure you always have a proportion of starchy food equal to a proportion of vegetables in the last phase.
You should also read :