A diet is a change in eating habits. It must be followed with vigilance so as not to cause dietary deficiencies. This is why different diets exist according to each person’s needs.
The Mayo Clinic diet is a low-calorie diet, invented in a famous American clinic, which allows you to lose weight quickly.
What is the Mayo Clinic Diet?
A Mayo diet is a 14-day diet often described as restrictive because :
- he’s very strict.
- it only allows 1,000 calories a day.
It is mainly based on:
- on egg consumption (minimum 6 per day).
- on the ban on certain foods: dairy products, starchy foods, pulses, fruits (except grapefruit).
Among the components of the 3 meals of the Mayo diet are:
- Proteins in large quantities with especially 6 to 7 hard-boiled eggs per day: their importance comes from the fact that they are very satisfying while being low in calories. We could call this diet the “egg diet”, since there are morning, midday and evening meals + 100 g of lean meat per day are allowed.
- Vegetables, rather raw and especially those gorged with water like cucumber, or very fibrous like leek. They are at will.
- Carbohydrates are almost banned: starchy foods and cereals are banned (only 2 rusks per day are allowed), fruits too (except grapefruit, which remains low in fructose), dairy products containing lactose are totally ruled out.
- Alcohol should be avoided.
- Lipids (or fats) are prohibited. For the seasoning of vegetables a lemon fillet is more suitable.
The mechanism of action of the Mayo Clinic Diet
The operation of the mayo diet is simple:
- The body, deprived of carbohydrates and lipids (both of which are sources of energy for the body, but also storable energy in the form of fat), cannot store and must draw on its fat reserves to function.
- The energy from the meal is supplied to the body exclusively in the form of protein, which is not stored as fat in the body. They maintain the muscle. However, muscle mass must be spared during any weight loss: you must lose fat, not muscle!
To work, the Mayo diet must be followed to the letter. We must therefore ensure that we have everything we need to carry it out. Being motivated is also very important.
It is necessary to be accompanied by a health and dieting professional, such as a dietician or nutritionist, as soon as weight loss is over to stabilize weight loss through a balanced diet.
The benefits of the Mayo Clinic Diet
The Mayo Plan has many advantages:
- rapid weight loss (on average 7 kg in 14 days) ;
- the menus are dictated;
- it is perfectly suited to a professional activity;
- it’s an inexpensive diet.
Disadvantages of a Mayo Clinic Diet
The Mayo regime also has disadvantages:
- difficult to follow, because restrictive and monotonous meals can be a bit depressing;
- it’s complicated to maintain a normal social life during the entire period of the plan;
- it should not be followed over a long period of time at the risk of creating a dietary deficiency of vitamins, minerals and proteins ;
- weight regain is inevitable at the end of the diet;
- The intake of very high quantities of protein leads to risks of liver and kidney fatigue, constipation and leakage of urinary calcium;
- it is not suitable for diabetics, people with kidney, heart or liver disease, pregnant or breastfeeding women;
- Feelings of hunger are common and can lead to fatigue, loss of concentration and irritability.
You should also read :