A diet is a change in eating habits. It must be followed with vigilance so as not to cause dietary deficiencies. This is why different diets exist according to each person’s needs.
Low-calorie diets are the most popular weight loss diets. Available in an infinite number of different names, they all allow you to lose weight fairly quickly. Here is an overview of these different diets.
What is a low-calorie diet?
A low-calorie diet is a low-calorie and balanced diet:
- The diet is reorganized to reduce the consumption of foods high in sugars and fats.
- By reducing the caloric balance of meals throughout the day, the body is forced to draw on its reserves, resulting in weight loss.
What are the different low-calorie diets ?
Several low-calorie diets exist to meet everyone’s needs. The choice of low-calorie diet is important because a diet is restrictive and motivation is an important factor.
Choosing a diet adapted to one’s pace of life and needs will guarantee success.
Some of the best known low-calorie diets include:
- The traditional dietetics
- The Weight Watchers Diet
- The LeDiet Method
- The Fiber diet
- The Natman diet
- The Thonon diet
- The Cohen diet
- The soup diet
- The cabbage soup diet
- The lemon diet
- The Mayo Clinic diet
- The cosmonaut diet
- The Zone diet
- The Scarsdale Diet
- The 5-2 Diet
Long-term low-calorie diets
The Weight Watchers diet operates on a point system. We are not talking about calories but about points and it is possible to eat anything without exceeding the number of points. The only one of all that has a cost.
The Cohen diet, which is a balanced diet, allows you to lose weight without frustration. It’s all about eating of everything while making sure you lower the amounts. The weight loss is slower than with other formulas but is also more durable, especially since there is a stabilization phase included.
The lemon diet, which is a balanced diet with the virtues of lemon.
The very short low-calorie diets
The Natman diet lasts 4 days and dictates exactly what to eat.
The Thonon diet: 14 days to lose 10 kg + a more or less long stabilisation phase. The menus are pre-established.
The cabbage soup diet: 7 days excessively hypocaloric. It consists of eating almost exclusively cabbage soup at each meal.
Advantages of low-calorie diets
- Low-calorie diets have different benefits depending on the plan, but in general:
- They allow you to learn how to eat a balanced diet.
- They are easily adaptable to the rhythm of a professional life.
- They allow you to learn healthy eating habits (do not snack, do sports, avoid sugary drinks…).
- Weight loss is very fast.
- Depending on the diet, long-term weight stabilization is possible if healthy eating habits persist.
Disadvantages of a low-calorie diet
- Dieting is not always easy, as it requires a change in eating habits. That’s why the low-calorie diet has some drawbacks to be aware of:
- It requires an unfailing motivation.
- These are the main reasons for the yo-yo effect: They create such frustration that they cause people to crack inordinately. A theory called “the boundary model” even states that after a calorie-restricted diet, a person is more sensitive to dietary stimuli.
- They are responsible for hormonal disturbances when they are too restrictive and last over a long period of time. Ghrelin, the hunger hormone, is then secreted in greater quantities while leptin, the satiety hormone, is less secreted.
- They lower the basal metabolic rate. The body deprived of a part of its energy learns to run in slow motion to save itself. The problem is that it continues to function this way even after resuming conventional nutrition.
Weight gain can be significant if the diet is stopped abruptly.
- There is a risk of deficiencies depending on the chosen diet and the intensity at which it is followed.
- Excessive restrictions certainly contribute to the loss of fat mass, but also to a risk of muscle loss and bone mineral loss.
- It is possible to feel tired because the body works differently. If the fatigue is too intense, it may be due to a deficiency. In this case, consult a doctor.