The lemon diet is a slimming method that has three main virtues: it purifies the body, gives it pep and, icing on the cake, chases away excess weight. A diet to lose weight that is a mine of benefits and that presents no danger: not bad for a low-calorie diet!
Lemon at the centre of the diet
The lemon diet is simply 20 days of lemon. As soon as you get up, it is advisable to drink the juice of the squeezed lemon(s) diluted in a glass of water, on an empty stomach. A more flexible version of this diet exists: you can spread the lemon juice over the day in drinks and drizzle it over your fish, meat, vegetables and fruit or in vinaigrette.
- From day 1 to day 10: the number of lemons depends on the day of the diet:
- day 1 = 1 lemon ;
- day 2 = 2 lemons ;
- day 10 = 10 lemons.
- From day 11 to day 20: the process is reversed.
- Day 11 = 10 lemons ;
- day 12 = 9 lemons ;
- day 20 = 1 lemon.
How the lemon diet works
The lemon diet should be included in a balanced, varied and slightly low-calorie diet: meat, fish, eggs, vegetables and fruit, whole grain products. Lemon is used for its functions in the body:
- Digestion stimulator: when the digestive system does not function optimally, this results in weight gain. It is a stimulator of saliva, gastric juices, activates the secretion of bile, all essential components of digestion.
- Detoxifying because rich in antioxidant compounds such as vitamin C.
- Curative: it has an alkalizing power. It helps to restore the body’s PH in the same way as the acid-base diet. It promotes weight loss.
- Fat and sugar trap when you keep its fibre in the juice.
Lemon diet tips
- It can be difficult to drink lemon juice on an empty stomach. Be aware that it is easier to drink it in slightly warm but not hot water so as not to cancel out the vitamin C.
- To get the most out of the benefits of lemon, squeeze it just before eating. You must imperatively use lemon juice squeezed by yourself and organic in order not to be loaded with pesticides and be counter-productive.
- Respect the dietary balance of the meals so as not to destroy the work of the lemon juice. Do not over-stress the gallbladder, liver, kidneys: no alcohol, cooked fats, salt, sugar, colourings, preservatives, additives. Favour fish rather than meat, and organic food.
- Brush your teeth to avoid damaging the enamel of your teeth with the lemon (but still wait half an hour after taking it to avoid further damage to the enamel).
Advantages and disadvantages of the lemon diet
The advantages of the lemon diet are:
- significant weight loss;
- not to trigger a sense of hunger or frustration;
- detoxify the body ;
- to provide well-being and avoid fatigue;
- to be easy to follow.
There are no major constraints and no real drawbacks to this regime. Just watch out for the lemon zest if you have heartburn, an ulcer or if you are prone to kidney or gallbladder problems.
You should also read :